Tuesday 19 July 2016

A Cornish Getaway


As previously mentioned in past blog posts Cornwall, is basically my second home. After visiting this beautiful county for the first time about 7 years ago, I've fallen in love with it ever since. I digress,  the relevance of this, is that last week I had a mini-getaway with my family to visit my beloved St Ives, Cornwall. It was definitely a much needed break away from reality as recently I have been so stressed out by the joys of A Level exams and attempting to sort out finance for university; it's as if I haven't really had a substantial break since I began sixth form two years ago now so, it was a getaway that was much appreciated. 

Anyway, come 8:00 am on Monday, I was hopping in the car aided by a much needed latte; an essential Literature classic and Bob Dylan bellowing through my earphones, ready to tackle the 4 hour car journey ahead of me. It was about midday when we arrived in Cornwall and after visiting some of our family in Looe, we continued to St Ives and I was finally at one with myself by the sea again. I don't know what it is about being by the sea but for me, I feel an enormous sense of well-being and my mood is lifted up almost automatically.  Once I'd unpacked, we went straight into town to indulge in a few whiskeys on a rooftop bar whilst overlooking the sea. 



For the rest of the week, we spent our time: exploring down all the hidden alleys; shopping in some of the best vintage and urban shops; paddling in the sea; sea shell collecting; over indulging in fish and chips; drinking cocktails by the sea; taking midnight walks down on the beach and capturing memories of the waves with my camera. For me however, the best part of my getaway was just going down to the beach on an evening and perching myself on the rocks armed with a different book each night and simply reading the night away whilst watching the sunset and listening to the crashing of the waves, the solitude was bliss. The entire week acted as a detox for me, the sea breeze in my hair and the sunshine on my skin was a cleansing break away from the usual rain and dark skies of the midlands. 

Below, are just a few of the pictures I took whilst being down Cornwall, unfortunately I painstakingly had to narrow them down so that they wouldn't take up the entirety of my blog. 





Once again, I definitely recommend anyone who feels as if they just need a break from reality, to head down South and enjoy the beauty of Cornwall. It's perfect if you can't afford to go abroad or don't necessarily have the time, as even a weekend down there can honestly make the biggest difference. The best part about it, is the fact that it is in the UK and although it is a 4 hour drive for me, it is still virtually on your doorstep as it's not like you have to catch a plane. However, despite it being in Britain, the beauty of it is that it's like you're abroad; there are palm trees every where; the sea is so warm and clear and there are cocktail bars on every corner, it's definitely worth the drive.

The Clueless Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment